Monday, September 5, 2011

Fendi, Fendi, Prada

"...basic (expletive deleted) wear that (expletive deleted) so I don't even botha'."

The Cosmo. I added my own flair by attaching a pocket for my iPhone.
As Kreayshawn poetically explained in her song about the rampant ownership of designer bags, I decided to make my own. Ok, it's not a stand against consumerism - I just like to sew. Yes, I like to make handbags. I make aprons, baby dresses, and even dolls. My sewing machine is part of me and I am part of it. We complete each other.

Jon says that sewing is a gateway drug to hoarding cats. Lots of them. Naturally, he has become afraid of my new hobby. The hurricane Cyndi level mess that's created when I start to cut my patterns is kryptonite to his need for neatness. There is a reason they sew in studios and sweatshops, not kitchens.

This bag was created in a class I took is Pasadena.
The thing is, I don't really use anything I make. I parse it out as gifts or barter them at Trader Joe's when I'm low on cash. Some of the things I make are simple (at least they are now), but others take quite some time. Take bags for instance. My last one took me a week. It was a Chapter 1 bag in the sewing book that's supposed to be easy. They don't know me. If I were to actually sell these things, I'd probably charge Neiman prices because of the time and nicks they cause me.

But for some reason I finish a project, gift it away, and look for a new mountain to climb. Research and Jo-Ann, iron and cut, stitch and sew - all over again. So if one day we're at lunch and I happen to bring a bib for you, just know that it's from the heart and not a critique of your chopstick skills.

3 comments:

Marco heart Tammy said...

OMG can you make me a bag?!!! my machine is just sitting there and collecting dust... that's what happens when you have a baby - so sad but true... but i will have my machine back ... soon my friend.
hey next time you're in town feel free to shop at my garage for any free fabrics!!! i got a ton and some of them are treated with teflon so even Flash will love it!
great work cyn! :-)

Anonymous said...

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience on the topic of unpredicted emotions.


Also visit my site :: Pages.rediff.com

Anonymous said...

My sρirit moved away аbоut 3 ages well bеfore my phyѕіque had thе сourаge to
ultimately сonclude thіs saga, аnd I did tгack down I was eνеn better beеn gіven іn the metropolis Ι еventuаlly
found tο and as for the dеcent fortune І waѕ ѕeekіng,
I stumbled on ωhat Joѕeрh Campbell wrotе was tгue: &#8220Yоur wholе bodily prοceѕs haѕ learnеd
that this іs the ωay to be alіve in this world and the way to give the faіrly оptimum thаt you have to make aѵaіlable.
Thiѕ Florida tenting spot is іdеаl foг a spouse and chіldren οn a budget for the reason that it iѕ fairly
priceԁ foг the Orlаndo place аnd nеvertheless it is shut to all the fοгemost ѕights lіke Disney.
Fabric markеrѕ have еven been employed and
can be аdvantageοus to contact-uρ the placeѕ on
the ѕneakers where by the shadе did not takе (the seams eѕpecially).


Нere is mу weblog ... pizza Stone 16 round